The Morris County Historical Society (MCHS) was founded in December 1945, by the Lion’s Club of Morristown. Beginning with 56 charter members, the Society initiated regular meetings at the Morristown Morris Township Joint Free Public Library. The MCHS worked by committee collecting artifacts of local history, publishing books and pamphlets, advocating the preservation of Morris County’s historical resources, and sponsoring lectures and walking tours.
Mary Crane Hone presented the Society with Acorn Hall and five acres of surrounding property in 1971. Built in 1853, Acorn Hall was the home of several generations of the Crane-Hone family.